Thursday, November 19, 2009

Not so fast!! :)

Ok, I know in my last post I said it would probably be my last update for the year, but today I did something (GASP!) REI related, so I just had to share. :)

I MADE IT TO THE COURTHOUSE!!!!!

and I didn't get lost. Hee Hee.

Toy sales are pretty slow right now, and really won't pick up until mid December. So I figured I would make hay while the sun shines and head to the courthouse to pick up some probate leads.

The probate recording system in my county is incredibly straight forward. There is a questionnaire that the potential personal representative has to fill out, and I basically got all my info from that. My county has them in PDF format, but it's not available online, so I do have to make a trip to do my research. I was able to take down 4 leads in total. I would have taken more, but I got a late start and had to make it back in time to pick up the girls from school.

When I got home, I checked on the assessors website in an attempt to cross reference and determine what real estate might be available. Two names didn't show up on the records, so when I go back on Tuesday I'll double check to see what other info I can glean to determine if there are any real estate holdings.

I've decided that my research days will be Tuesdays and Thursdays. When I go back on Tuesday I'm going to see what the lag time is between when the info is recorded and when it's scanned as a PDF file, so I can see where I can get info that is most up to date. I also found out from the files I looked at that the paper where most of the Notice to Creditors notices are published is the Spartan Weekly, which I can get for $20 a year. I'll probably get a subscription to that, but I want to go to the courthouse so I can practice my research.

I may not make as much as I wanted to with toy sales this year - I realized my window of opportunity is closing fast, due to cash flow issues, so I'm shifting gears a bit and will work the probate leads, get my private money website up and functional, and work on the business plan.

If I do more REI related stuff before the end of the year, I'll be sure to update! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO girl!! Lovin' the forward movement :-)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Ingrid! Here is a tip from Nick Johnson that you can use to make some extra money. Sell your probate leads that you aren't using to realtors. Ask for $20 a lead with a minimum of 10 leads. Advertise on craigslist to see if you get any interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Successful navigation to the courthouse! :-)

    Great job on moving forward, Ingrid! Keep momentum up!

    ...jp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, Shae, JP and Scott, thanks for the neat comments! Scott, I will have to check up on that one...sounds like it could work. :)

    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete