Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Extremely Thankful this Holiday

I received the worst phone call this morning. In fact, it was the worst phone call I've had since they called saying that my father had passed away, back in December of 1996.

My mother called to say she was in the hospital, after suffering a heart attack late last evening as she was getting ready for bed. She was in great spirits when she called (she had to leave a message, as my phone was out in the living room and I couldn't get to it in time to pick it up). In fact, she seemed rather annoyed that this threw a monkey wrench into her schedule, and she was concerned that she wouldn't be able to travel to visit us for Christmas like she planned. It was good to hear that Mom sounded like Mom.

For those who don't know, my mother lives in Florida - I live in South Carolina. We have no vehicle that can make the trip down to visit her, as both my husband's car and my van have some maintenance issues that need to be addressed ASAP. There's no $$ in savings to get the cars fixed or to rent a car - so here I sit, monitoring things from afar, hoping and praying that they don't get worse.

When I look back at this year, I realized just how much time I have squandered. IF I had gotten out and went looking for a deal, IF I had gone to the courthouse to look for probate leads earlier in the year, I might have earned enough to make up an emergency fund for a situation just like this. Even if it was only $1k, it still would have been enough just to travel back and forth.

What a wake up call.

I am so DONE with this paycheck-to-paycheck, hand to mouth, BS life. IT WILL change in 2010, so I can serve my family and my mother better than I can now.

God Bless everyone and enjoy your Thanksgiving! And please pray for my Mom!

3 comments:

  1. Ingrid, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's heart attack and she will be in my prayers tonight. I had no idea she was in Florida---what city?

    As for the real estate investing, you know what it takes and you know what to do so there's nothin' to it but to do it my friend(and do it consistently)

    Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shae!

    Mom lives in Bradenton, which is near Sarasota on the West Coast. She was thinking of moving up to be near us, and with all that has happened, she really wants to move, so I'm trying to see what would be available for her.

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your mother is doing ok. It's always a scary thing to go through, but it makes you thankful for what you have. and you still have your mother around, which is a wonderful thing!

    I know you'll turn around and make 2010 the year you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete